Wednesday, May 13, 2009

And again it has been WAY too long between posts.

I've had some interesting cases, including an ongoing Probate Appeal, and a complicated Special Ed case (that I assisted another lawyer with). I am also taking court-appointed criminal work. There is always a lot more to learn. I have a client that is charged with a misdemeanor, but in all the paperwork she is being treated as though she is charged with a felony. When I called the Court about this, they explained to me that the specific misdemeanor she is charged with is a "High Court Misdemeanor", which means it is treated like a Felony. Things that they don't teach you in law school!

The fact is, although they do teach you a great deal in law school, and you have to learn a great deal to pass the bar exam, very little of this has to do with what lawyers actually do on a day to day basis. Most lawyers become "associates" in large firms when they leave law school, and so get more education from working with the more experienced "partners", but that is not available to a fellow like me who went solo straight out of law school.

Fifth Third did finally let me have a credit card with I think about a $1,000 limit. After I had kept my business going for a few months without overdrawing my account or anything like that. Fifth Third also have been taking care of my Trust Account correctly. But I still use Midwest Transaction Group for my credit card processing, and have had no problems with them.

I'm continuing to move forward with this law firm. One thing that has occured to me as I am coming up to my one year anniversary is that now if I decide to go and get a "real job" I have a year of experience which can give me the edge over other applicants right out of law school.

Bye for now.

No comments: